Skip to main content

Wiped Out!

I am so sore today, that I can hardly move.
Yesterday, I went to the gym.  I have only been twice since last April.  I know that is pitiful, but I HATE to exercize.
My friend, Karen, is a faithful gym member.  She told me that if I met her there yesterday we could work-out together and she would show me how to use the machines.  All I have ever done is the tread mill.  It is always more fun to have a friend at the gym and I have noticed when a friend talks to me while I am on the treadmill, I always stay on it longer.
Karen did not know what she was getting into with me by her side.  The first machine nearly killed me.  Muscles worked in my arms that I don't think I have ever used before.  It was a torture device.  The second machine, well,  I got on it backwards.  Karen laughed and so did a man lifting weights nearby.  I tried to do three sets of ten, but I mostly did a lot of sitting and staring and asking the Lord to help me not look like an idiot.  Some of the machines pinched and pulled me before I even started working them.  Getting in some of them was a work out in itself.
Karen has a heart of gold to work with me.  When she mentioned meeting tomorrow, I was thinking there is no way.....I may be in the hospital.
I will try again next week.

I always check on the girls before I go to bed.  This is how I found Sarah Kate.  Pen in hand and asleep mid-draw.  Can you tell we read the Bible story about the "Miraculous Catch?"

Comments

Tara G. said…
" It was a torture device" reminded me of The Princess Bride: "Beautiful isn't it? It took me half a lifetime to invent it. I'm sure you've discovered my deep and abiding interest in pain. Presently I'm writing the definitive work on the subject, so I want you to be totally honest with me on how the machine makes you feel. This being our first try, I'll use the lowest setting." Hugs!! :)
Rebecca said…
Laurie, I totally understand about the gym! Hang in there! My husband (& most of his family) love & enjoy excercise & I just don't have the willpower, I want to! So I'm not so consistent or I don't work out at the intensity I should to see results. My friend does crossfit & is in amazing shape. I know it's the hardest workout ever, but I may try bc it will be worth it. But I'm lazy & haven't called yet! :). Also, I think I broke my little toe the other day, so that's my excuse for now! Sweet pic of SK, such a sweet family you have! Have a great day!
:) Rebecca
Leanne Helums said…
I love reading your blog. I do believe if we lived in the same area (I live in Alabama) we could be best of friends. HA You crack me up with this exercise. I started 21 Day Fix by Beachbody. I made it 14 days which is great because I have not exercised in YEARS!! Then this week I got a cold and haven't exercised but once. Also, I love my blinds open and my kitchen and living room have no blinds. Live out in the country so it is OK. Keep writing. )
sl said…
I know how you feel. Soak in a hot bath with epsom salts. You will feel like a new woman. I like to add lavender drops to my bath also.
sl said…
I know how you feel. Soak in a hot bath with epsom salts. You will feel like a new woman. I like to add lavender drops to my bath also.

Popular posts from this blog

Complicated

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember life being so complicated when I was in middle school. Everything is so competitive now.  Maybe it was back then and I just didn't realize it. Sarah Kate started playing city league softball a couple of weeks ago.   We've been encouraged to get her private batting lessons. When I was in third grade I started playing softball and I just did it for fun!  No stress at all, as far as I can remember!  I just played.  I wasn't very good, but I liked it! Ha! Emily started band this year!  Before school started, I got a letter from the school district strongly encouraging "your band student to take instrument lessons."  WHAT?  I bought into it and got Emily private clarinet lessons (which she really enjoys)! But, what happened to learning as you go?  I never thought about taking private trumpet lessons when I started band. It seems like most parents are striving for their child to be THE BEST.  I guess that's a go

Something Good to Eat

Ever since Steve and I started dating, when we would go to Mississippi, his aunt would make the BEST ROAST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! Steve's Dad's side of the family gets together at his Granny's house for lunch every Sunday after church. The food is always sooo good!!!!!!!!!!!! I have always taken a liking to his Aunt Judy's roast. It really is the best roast I have ever had. When we were there on Labor Day weekend, my sister in law asked Aunt Judy for the recipe. Aunt Judy began naming all the ingredients. She said Ranch Dressing mix, and I bugged my eyes out and nearly chocked. I HATE RANCH DRESSING. I don't even like to be in the room with it. I had to focus on the word MIX....not the mayo and butter milk and sour cream that you add to it. Just typing those words makes me shudder. The recipe sounded awful as she rattled off the ingredients, but I promise, you have got to make this if you like a good roast. Trust me on this. Here it is: Get a tender chuck

Life in Pictures!

Emily is enjoying her first year in band.  I am very impressed with her playing skill! Sarah Kate was recently awarded the empathy award at her school.  She is very deserving of this! Here we are before the Cotillion Holly Ball.