Skip to main content

Thoughts on Salvation and Such



The Summer before Emily started Kindergarten, my friend Amanda had her second baby.  I made a meal for them and carried the girls with me to deliver the meal.  It is a beautiful country drive from Amanda's house to mine.  As we drove back home, we were having small talk and listening to their Vacation Bible School music c.d.
All of the sudden Emily says with urgency and strong conviction,  "MOM, MOM.......I just asked Jesus into my heart!!!!!"
I told Emily how wonderful this was and all that.  She wanted to call her Daddy and grandparents and tell them her good news. We began talking that very night with Emily about what it means to be saved from your sins.  Steve and I quickly saw that there was a lot that she was very confused about.  We looked at that time in the car as one big step toward God.We talked to her about baptism and she told us that she wanted to get baptised so her sins would be washed away, but she added that she had to take swimming lessons first.  We tried to explain that baptism does not wash away your sins.  We told her that baptism is a picture to show others you are now following Jesus.  Jesus told us in the Bible to be baptised,  but it does not save you.  Emily also believed that she had to be good.  We told her that being saved from hell does not mean that we have to be good.  Jesus did all the work for us by dying on the cross.  PRAISE the LORD our salvation does not depend on us!!!! It is God's grace!!! We told her that it was more than just saying you believe in Jesus, but it is giving all of yourself to Jesus and loving Him with all your heart, mind, soul and strength.
We have not stopped talking about that.  She has not stopped asking us questions either.  Her understanding is becoming more and more clear.  She is realizing that she is a sinner and her only hope is Jesus.
Easter Sunday, we had Junior Hill as our guest evangelist.  He is one of my favorites.  He makes the gospel message very simple and many children in our church have been saved when Junior Hill has been at our church.  Steve and I had been praying the week before Easter that Emily would be convicted of her sin and want to be saved and baptised.  We prayed she would listen on that morning.  She listened well that morning and even had some great questions during the preaching.  The invitation came and we all stood and sang.  Emily looked VERY VERY serious.  Steve looked very intense as well.  He would close his eyes and pray as others sang.  I knew he was praying for Emily and the salvation of others.  I was praying as well.  The invitation lasted a long time and Junior Hill would say,  " I feel there is still a little boy or a little girl that needs to come down."  Junior Hill told the children that their parents would be happy to walk to the front with them.  Emily would look at me and Steve.  I just knew that it was "the day."  I sat down on the pew to be eye ball to eye ball with Emily and I whispered,  "  what are you thinking?"  She looked at me with tears in her big blue eyes and said,  " I'm thnking about the Easter bunny.  I am so sad that he did not hide any eggs for us."  THE EASTER BUNNY????  The Easter Bunny?  Seriously?  I just wilted.  WILTED.
No one is saved without God drawing that person to Him.
She just has not had that conviction yet.  WE ARE PRAYING.

Monday night after we read the Bible and prayed in bed, Emily told me that she had asked Jesus in her heart on the playground that afternoon.  She proudly told me that she had asked him in 3 or 4 times.  I explained that once you ask Jesus in, He is NOT leaving, NOT EVER.  She looked at me so confused with her little hand on her heart and said, " Well,  I know He gets hungry in there and has to get out to eat."


Oh we love that sweet girl so much!!!!!!!!!  We are excited for the day that she becomes a Christian!

Comments

Oh Laurie - this brought tears to my eyes! I have an almost 5 year old who is asking TONS of questions, but definitely still doesn't "get it!" I'll be praying for Emily...knowing that the Lord is working on her precious heart!!
Carol said…
You & your husband are very wise parents to not push Emily into something she's not ready for. I have known several people who were pushed & then when they were older they had lots of doubts & confusion.

Smiles,
Carol
Natasha said…
Laurie, I am sorry that you and Steve's prayers weren't answered on Easter morning but oh my goodness, I am laughing at what Emily was thinking about. Know that God is definitely working in Emily's heart and God hears our prayers.
Becky said…
Laurie - I am SO proud of your understanding that a child can be so very tender and feel that call, yet it not be certain. Sometimes I think a child may profess salvation at an early age and the parent may affirm that - and tell the child 'Oh, you got saved when you were 5.' I think a child can make that decision, but there comes a time later on when their parent's faith truly becomes theirs - sometimes in their later teens. I don't want to get anyone confused because like you, I know that salvation is eternal. I think sometimes a child simply does not grasp the true meaning - although they may be very tender. I don't think I am explaining this in a very articulate way, but am thankful that you are answering her questions to assure her what salvation truly means.
Tara G. said…
Rejoicing with you over the work God is already doing and looking forward to the time you share it's a done deal!! {Have you heard of Leading Little Ones to God? It's a great book to use as a devotional.}
Elizabeth said…
One of the BEST stories and our heart to lead our children to HIM! Thank you for keeping it real!
Mary said…
OMG I literally laughed at loud. I was so drawn to the story and was thinking wow she really is so mature for her age, waiting for her to take your hand and head up to the front. However, I did love the Easter Bunny story. She is young, sweet and innocent. That day her big deal was the eggs. Let her youth last. She's making great strides towards the Lord. Great story!
Heather said…
You are so wise to encourage her but not push her. I was saved at 7 but through the years I wondered how much I really understood then. I even worried when the Pastor who baptized me passed away, afraid that he wouldn't be able to "verify" what I was thinking. Fortunately my brother was baptized at the same time and he reminded me that it was a matter of me coming to Jesus as a little child with as much understanding as I had then, knowing that I wanted Him in my heart, whatever that meant to me then. And I understood that without Him we cannot have eternal life. With both of my nieces I have had the pleasure of helping them prepare for baptism and I have been the one to hand them a towel after their baptism and help them change... And it was their dad who baptized them. I just wanted to be able to relive those moments for them and be able to remind them of where they were spiritually at that time in the same way their dad has done for me. She will grow to a knowledge of Jesus because you make him a part of your everyday lives.
The Mommy said…
She is precious! I am so happy that you are making sure that she REALLY understands everything. I think so many parents just want their kids to be saved and don't make sure that they really know what they are saying. Junior Hill has been at our church before and is a great speaker. I am sure that he planted seeds just for Emily that Sunday.
Kim said…
I love this story!! I can almost see you wilting in the pew! God is working in E's heart for sure!
My favorite Emily story ever.

You are wise to let her wait and understand more. She is learning from her wonderful parents - she will love Jesus all her life!
Morgan's mom said…
Laurie, I join you and Steve praying Emily will soon come to Jesus - but I gotta tell you I started laughing like crazy when you said she was thinking about the Easter bunny!!! She is the sweetest thing! When my little granddaughter asked Jesus to be her Saviour she called it asking Him to walk into her heart :-) In her own way, as she understood salvation at her age, she was and is completely sincere, and I know God honors that, and will help her work out her salvation as she matures and learns more about Him. Thank you so much for being faithful to raise your family up to be the next generation to proclaim Jesus as Lord.
Morgan's mom said…
Laurie, I join you and Steve praying Emily will soon come to Jesus - but I gotta tell you I started laughing like crazy when you said she was thinking about the Easter bunny!!! She is the sweetest thing! When my little granddaughter asked Jesus to be her Saviour she called it asking Him to walk into her heart :-) In her own way, as she understood salvation at her age, she was and is completely sincere, and I know God honors that, and will help her work out her salvation as she matures and learns more about Him. Thank you so much for being faithful to raise your family up to be the next generation to proclaim Jesus as Lord.
Deb said…
That was soooo sweet, it brought tears to my eyes.
Jill said…
This made me cry and laugh. We're walking through some of the same questions/things with Amelia. She doesn't completely understand and we look at it as steps toward understanding in the future. I think it's great to keep talking about it because I want her to accept Him the very minute she fully understands.

I'll be praying for your sweet Emily. Sounds like she's very close to becoming my sister in Christ! :)
Kay-K said…
Praying for our precious Emily. So thankful our granddaughter has such wonderful Christian parents and a great church to help her grow in her relationship with God. Love you all, Kay-K
So great!! Love everything about this story so much!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Complicated

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember life being so complicated when I was in middle school. Everything is so competitive now.  Maybe it was back then and I just didn't realize it. Sarah Kate started playing city league softball a couple of weeks ago.   We've been encouraged to get her private batting lessons. When I was in third grade I started playing softball and I just did it for fun!  No stress at all, as far as I can remember!  I just played.  I wasn't very good, but I liked it! Ha! Emily started band this year!  Before school started, I got a letter from the school district strongly encouraging "your band student to take instrument lessons."  WHAT?  I bought into it and got Emily private clarinet lessons (which she really enjoys)! But, what happened to learning as you go?  I never thought about taking private trumpet lessons when I started band. It seems like most parents are striving for their child to be THE BEST.  I guess that's a go

Something Good to Eat

Ever since Steve and I started dating, when we would go to Mississippi, his aunt would make the BEST ROAST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! Steve's Dad's side of the family gets together at his Granny's house for lunch every Sunday after church. The food is always sooo good!!!!!!!!!!!! I have always taken a liking to his Aunt Judy's roast. It really is the best roast I have ever had. When we were there on Labor Day weekend, my sister in law asked Aunt Judy for the recipe. Aunt Judy began naming all the ingredients. She said Ranch Dressing mix, and I bugged my eyes out and nearly chocked. I HATE RANCH DRESSING. I don't even like to be in the room with it. I had to focus on the word MIX....not the mayo and butter milk and sour cream that you add to it. Just typing those words makes me shudder. The recipe sounded awful as she rattled off the ingredients, but I promise, you have got to make this if you like a good roast. Trust me on this. Here it is: Get a tender chuck

Life in Pictures!

Emily is enjoying her first year in band.  I am very impressed with her playing skill! Sarah Kate was recently awarded the empathy award at her school.  She is very deserving of this! Here we are before the Cotillion Holly Ball.