Skip to main content

What Matters Most


Yesterday was one of those days that I felt like I was just spinning my wheels.  I worked hard all day long to get the house straight and clean, but by bedtime it looked worse than before I started.
I read a qoute recently that I loved and will remember always....."cleaning your house with children around is liking eating Oreos and brushing your teeth at the same time.
Just as things were looking great, SK pulled at least twenty items out of her closet to find something new to wear.  The girls destroyed both their rooms looking for a certain doll.  SK dropped a bowl of fruit cocktail in the kitchen.  Kristen plucked out half her fur on her side.  Sticky hands had touched the freshly cleaned back door windows.  I cooked and used several pots and pans.....you get the picture.
I went to bed feeling the day had been wasted, like I had accomplished nothing.

This morning, I was reading in 1 Corinthians 13.  What matters MOST is how we love.  Love is the most excellent way!  We can do many good things, but what matters most is love!  So many times I do things that will not matter a hill of beans in eternity.  Cleaning house is a great thing-an important thing, but what am I doing to build up eternal treasure?  We are here on earth to know God and make Him known.  We do that when we love.  If we love God, we are going to love people.  I can do a whole bunch of great things, but if I don't do it in love it is worth nothing.

Loving God, loving others, loving my family, etc,  will never be a waste of time.
What are you doing today that really matters?
2 Corinthians 4 :18. " So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."






Comments

Julie said…
I can definitely relate!! Thanks for sharing your heart with us.
Sabrina said…
Excellent post! This is so true! I tell myself all the time "love God, love people, repeat!" I can get so earthly minded with my tasks that like you said..."wouldn't matter a hill of beans in eternity!"

Thanks for sharing!! :)
DeeDee said…
I am so guilty of getting frustrated when my house doesn't look the way I think it should and I can't get as much cleaning or laundry done by a certain time. I have to remind myself that my boys are only little once and they will not remember that our house was cluttery, but they will remember the times that I sat and read them a book, played a game, or played outside with them. I want to be that kind of Mom!
Natasha said…
Thank you Laurie. I really needed this today. It's been a rough week because I've been volunteering with our church's VBS and my house is a disaster but your post helped me to put it in perspective -- is it more important to show these children God's love or to clean my house? When put that way, the answer is obvious.
Angie said…
How true, I get stressed so easily over things that in the grand scheme doesn't really matter anyway!
Maryellen said…
Well said and beautifully written !

Popular posts from this blog

Complicated

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember life being so complicated when I was in middle school. Everything is so competitive now.  Maybe it was back then and I just didn't realize it. Sarah Kate started playing city league softball a couple of weeks ago.   We've been encouraged to get her private batting lessons. When I was in third grade I started playing softball and I just did it for fun!  No stress at all, as far as I can remember!  I just played.  I wasn't very good, but I liked it! Ha! Emily started band this year!  Before school started, I got a letter from the school district strongly encouraging "your band student to take instrument lessons."  WHAT?  I bought into it and got Emily private clarinet lessons (which she really enjoys)! But, what happened to learning as you go?  I never thought about taking private trumpet lessons when I started band. It seems like most parents are striving for their child to be THE BEST.  I guess that's a go

Something Good to Eat

Ever since Steve and I started dating, when we would go to Mississippi, his aunt would make the BEST ROAST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! Steve's Dad's side of the family gets together at his Granny's house for lunch every Sunday after church. The food is always sooo good!!!!!!!!!!!! I have always taken a liking to his Aunt Judy's roast. It really is the best roast I have ever had. When we were there on Labor Day weekend, my sister in law asked Aunt Judy for the recipe. Aunt Judy began naming all the ingredients. She said Ranch Dressing mix, and I bugged my eyes out and nearly chocked. I HATE RANCH DRESSING. I don't even like to be in the room with it. I had to focus on the word MIX....not the mayo and butter milk and sour cream that you add to it. Just typing those words makes me shudder. The recipe sounded awful as she rattled off the ingredients, but I promise, you have got to make this if you like a good roast. Trust me on this. Here it is: Get a tender chuck

Life in Pictures!

Emily is enjoying her first year in band.  I am very impressed with her playing skill! Sarah Kate was recently awarded the empathy award at her school.  She is very deserving of this! Here we are before the Cotillion Holly Ball.