Skip to main content

Here's to the Jitter Glitter


A couple of days before school started I took the girls to "Meet the Teacher" night.  The girls were excited to meet the teachers and see friends.  Emily is in 3rd grade this year and her teacher gave her some Jitter Glitter and a poem to take home and use before the first day of school.  We all loved the idea and thought it was so cute.  Emily believed 100% that this would take her nerves away and help her go right to sleep.  She does not sleep worth a flip anyway.  I played right along and built up how wonderful it was.
The night before school, we did our bedtime routine and the girls were in bed by 7:30. I was so proud and happy when I left their bedroom because I thought they were asleep.  Emily remarked while I was reading to them that she could feel the glitter making her very sleepy.  She suggested we use it every night.
Fast forward about 30 minutes.  Who comes out of her room?  Emily.  She is fretful saying the Jitter Glitter is not working.  She thought she needed a litte more under her pillow and so I sprinkled a bit more.  She just knew that was the answer. 
8:30 still awake
8:45 we hear screaming because a fleck of glitter had gotten in her eye.
9:00 still up, angry, offended that hers did not work.
To make matters worse, Sarah Kate had gotten the same thing from her teacher, but it was confetti.  SK was sound asleep.

9:30-STILL awake, tears, red face, glitter stuck all over side of her face.  Glitter in hair.
Sometime after 9:45 she finally went to sleep.

Her first day of school marked by glitter in her hair.
I guess every 3rd grade mom spent their child's first day of school washing sheets and vacuuming.
I am finding glitter in our car......
glitter in our carpet.........
glitter in her backpack............
glitter in the bathtub......
glitter in the cat's fur.............


Here's to the Jitter Glitter- WE DON'T LIKE YOU!

Comments

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Lauren said…
I'm sorry, but I'm laughing sooooooooo hard!!!!!!!! LOL
Gail said…
I'm with you! I used to cringe every time I would see completed school projects coming into the house loaded with glitter! Happy vacuuming!
Gail
Annapolis, MD
lspar002 said…
That story still makes me laugh so much!!!
Cari said…
This may just be one of the funniest things I've ever read!
Sincerely Anna said…
I'm laughing so hard! I read this to my husband, a children's and youth pastor, who hates glitter with a passion! Thanks for sharing this funny story. I hope your girls have a great school year!
Tara G. said…
Mom of the Year for going along with it!!
Mom to Memphis said…
Caden got some too, but knowing his momma well he put it under the pillow still in the bag:)!
Erin said…
That is priceless!!
Lauri said…
this is the funniest thing ever! and you post some funny stuff!! bahahaha
Heaven's Roses said…
That was a great story! I love the idea of jitter glitter!
Whitney said…
Our teachers do jitter juice..... Every one gets a sip the first day to get rid of the jitters.... Even the teachers!
Leslie said…
That is the funniest thing I've ever read!
emily said…
hahaha...it sounded like a great idea!

Popular posts from this blog

Complicated

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember life being so complicated when I was in middle school. Everything is so competitive now.  Maybe it was back then and I just didn't realize it. Sarah Kate started playing city league softball a couple of weeks ago.   We've been encouraged to get her private batting lessons. When I was in third grade I started playing softball and I just did it for fun!  No stress at all, as far as I can remember!  I just played.  I wasn't very good, but I liked it! Ha! Emily started band this year!  Before school started, I got a letter from the school district strongly encouraging "your band student to take instrument lessons."  WHAT?  I bought into it and got Emily private clarinet lessons (which she really enjoys)! But, what happened to learning as you go?  I never thought about taking private trumpet lessons when I started band. It seems like most parents are striving for their child to be THE BEST.  I guess that's a go

Something Good to Eat

Ever since Steve and I started dating, when we would go to Mississippi, his aunt would make the BEST ROAST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! Steve's Dad's side of the family gets together at his Granny's house for lunch every Sunday after church. The food is always sooo good!!!!!!!!!!!! I have always taken a liking to his Aunt Judy's roast. It really is the best roast I have ever had. When we were there on Labor Day weekend, my sister in law asked Aunt Judy for the recipe. Aunt Judy began naming all the ingredients. She said Ranch Dressing mix, and I bugged my eyes out and nearly chocked. I HATE RANCH DRESSING. I don't even like to be in the room with it. I had to focus on the word MIX....not the mayo and butter milk and sour cream that you add to it. Just typing those words makes me shudder. The recipe sounded awful as she rattled off the ingredients, but I promise, you have got to make this if you like a good roast. Trust me on this. Here it is: Get a tender chuck

Life in Pictures!

Emily is enjoying her first year in band.  I am very impressed with her playing skill! Sarah Kate was recently awarded the empathy award at her school.  She is very deserving of this! Here we are before the Cotillion Holly Ball.