Skip to main content

Beach Bum



"Who have you made mad?"  That is the question the urgent care Dr. asked me after about 30 seconds of examining me.  While we were at the beach, I developed a sore throat on Tuesday evening.  I blew it off as a Summer cold and was determined to enjoy my vacation despite the discomfort.

Thursday, I felt so bad that I could not get out of bed until almost noon. My ears had stopped up and my left ear hurt from so much pressure.  It was oozing too.  I was also SO HOT!  I never get hot, but I could not seem to cool down.  I knew there must be something bad wrong with me!

Determined to enjoy the beach, I walked down to the shore for about a thirty minute rest on the chair.  My sore throat seemed to go away while I was down by the water.  It was some strange phenomenon.  Friday we had our twelve hour drive home.  I sat there in the passenger seat in misery.

Saturday morning I saw a Dr.  He diagnosed me with strep throat and a double ear infection.  Before the day ended I developed pink eye. I watched some good Lifetime movies and enjoyed rest in my bed.

I feel fine today except for the fact that my left ear is sooooooo stopped up and it is about to make me crazy.  I don't even want to talk because I sound so weird and distorted. I welcome any suggestion on how to get this fluid from behind my ear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Misery.

Sooooo, I enjoyed the first three days of our beach trip!  I'm thankful for that.  I loved being with my family and the Stamps.  We had beautiful weather.  I decided I'm a lake girl.  I used to love to go the beach and lay out and tan.  But now I am very afraid of skin cancer and have had enough scares with my skin that I need to stay out of the sun.  Walking in sand wears me out.  I was huffing and puffing by the time I got down to the beach chairs.  The beach is beautiful and I love seafood, but I am just as happy fishing on a calm lake as the sun begins to set!



Comments

Charity said…
PEROXIDE!! Lay on your side and pour a little bit, about a cap full, of peroxide in your ear. It will bubble and fizz and feel weird, but in a really good way. You will feel relief! Leave in your ear for up to 30 mins, or whenever the bubbling slow down. You can do it 2-3 times a day!

I have a lot of sinus and ear issues. And before I got Adult Ear Tubes (yes, it's a thing!) I had a lot of ear infections and peroxide was my bff!
Diane said…
Pinch your nose, keep your mouth closed and blow as hard as you can until your ear pops. This will put air into you eustachian tubes. You may get a little dizzy at first but it's worth a try and hopefully will open it up some. Get well soon!
Anonymous said…
I wear hearing aids and am prone to clogged ears. Normally I'd say to get a ear wax remover kit and use that every day for a few days.

However since you have an ear infection, I strongly advise you not to attempt to unclog your ears on your own. Call your doctor on Monday or go to an Urgent Care place tomorrow if you can't take it until then. They can rule out that nothing else is going on then they have special tools that essentially vacuums anything that is clogging your ears.

Hope you feel better soon!

Shannon
Divya said…
Try steaming a couple of times a day. Don't talk much or even whisper until you feel better.

Popular posts from this blog

Complicated

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember life being so complicated when I was in middle school. Everything is so competitive now.  Maybe it was back then and I just didn't realize it. Sarah Kate started playing city league softball a couple of weeks ago.   We've been encouraged to get her private batting lessons. When I was in third grade I started playing softball and I just did it for fun!  No stress at all, as far as I can remember!  I just played.  I wasn't very good, but I liked it! Ha! Emily started band this year!  Before school started, I got a letter from the school district strongly encouraging "your band student to take instrument lessons."  WHAT?  I bought into it and got Emily private clarinet lessons (which she really enjoys)! But, what happened to learning as you go?  I never thought about taking private trumpet lessons when I started band. It seems like most parents are striving for their child to be THE BEST.  I guess that's a go

Something Good to Eat

Ever since Steve and I started dating, when we would go to Mississippi, his aunt would make the BEST ROAST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! Steve's Dad's side of the family gets together at his Granny's house for lunch every Sunday after church. The food is always sooo good!!!!!!!!!!!! I have always taken a liking to his Aunt Judy's roast. It really is the best roast I have ever had. When we were there on Labor Day weekend, my sister in law asked Aunt Judy for the recipe. Aunt Judy began naming all the ingredients. She said Ranch Dressing mix, and I bugged my eyes out and nearly chocked. I HATE RANCH DRESSING. I don't even like to be in the room with it. I had to focus on the word MIX....not the mayo and butter milk and sour cream that you add to it. Just typing those words makes me shudder. The recipe sounded awful as she rattled off the ingredients, but I promise, you have got to make this if you like a good roast. Trust me on this. Here it is: Get a tender chuck

Life in Pictures!

Emily is enjoying her first year in band.  I am very impressed with her playing skill! Sarah Kate was recently awarded the empathy award at her school.  She is very deserving of this! Here we are before the Cotillion Holly Ball.